Pages

January 08, 2011

The Story of a Headboard

I like interior design.  I am always tweaking things in my house and it drives me nuts that my living room is so long and narrow and no solid walls, but this isn't about the living room, that's another post.
This post is about a headboard for my bed.  For over a year my bed has been a blah mattress and box spring on a metal frame I'm on a mission to change that so I have been looking for ideas.  The problem I am having is I don't really know what I want.  What ever I do has to be able to mounted on the wall because right behind our bed are pipes leading from the boiler to the radiators and hot water taps in our house, not only to they create an obstacle but after you put a king sized bed in a 10'x12' room there is very little room for anything else.

I'm leaning toward an upholstered headboard mounted on the wall like this


If we were in the US I know I could pull this off, however I have yet to see a set of folding doors here.

I'm leaning this way because other than some wood and possibly some trim I have all I need to make one. The current issue of BHG has a shorter headboard a compilation of art work above it and I really like that. Or I could get some long narrow pictures for either side of the bed.

I really like this one


Just a couple of minor issues, the whole radiator pipe like I mentioned before, and the fact that I'm pretty sure this headboard is wider than my entire room.

Doors also seem to be all the rage for headboards. I wish I could find a picture I saw the other day of a set of doors being used as a head board it was beautiful and made we rush to EBAY UK to look for doors, unfortunately I did not see any that inspired me.


Lovely dark wood, I could probably make a new door look like this.


Hum, now this is a possibility.

This has the height that would go well on our wall, if I could find folding doors. It would also have to be a different color as it would blend in with our off white walls too much and I'm just not feeling painting in this house.


Hum, now this is a possibility.

As I was looking online today I noticed a lot of fire place surrounds being used as head boards.  LOVE the idea.
 Just enough detail and the middle can be filled with a piece of fabric covered MDF.
 This is just eye candy.
 I like this one but I don't know if I could trust it to stay in the wall.

Now if I wanted to do some painting there is this, I could actually see this in Olivia's room with a pink background.

I pulled this photo because this is what my room really needs as a whole, but Alas the whole pipes coming out of the wall and no room to walk at the end of the bed if we have to accommodate a large headboard behind it thing.

Then as I sit here writing this I relize I could let my husband expand his colections of giant pub signs, maybe.....

2 comments:

  1. I have seen the upholstered headboards made out of a big sheet of MDF or plywood.
    I am confused, though, you need something that can be mounted to the wall? Or not?
    I think you could do the very tall one (only I wouldn't make it so tall) with a long shelf and then maybe even paint the door "frame" and the shadow of the trim, instead of real trim.

    I have the opposite problem. I want a headboard that can be moved a bit because I can't decide where I want the bed set.

    I actually have two doors. One is a screen door that's just a backdrop behind the rocking chair, and the other is a nice door like the ones you have pictured, but it's weathered badly on the lower half and weathered quite nicely on the top half. It's still in the garage waiting for a home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it the room we have now it really should hang on the wall because of the pipes behind the bed. The bed wall in our room is literally wall, night table, king bed, night table, radiator wall and it's the only wall we can use for the bed because it's the longest and the way the celings slope it works the best. I'm hesitant to do something on the wall simply becasue if I got a smaller night stand for the far side of the bed I could shift everything over a few inches and have a dressing table on the other side and then get a bigger wardrobe, yeah it's complicated.......
    I'm hoping to get to the hardware store this weekend and see about a sheet of MDF.
    And the celing in our room on that wall is 12-15 ft high so I could really go tall in there :)
    I'm thinking about getting some old doors to use as room dividers in my sewing room and mounting shelves on them, and then I could also take them with me to shows to set up as display.

    ReplyDelete